Puddle Dock School Rental Agreement
The Town of Alna (“the Town”) and the named party below (“the Renter”) enter into an agreement for the rental of Puddle Dock School (“the School):
Phone: _______________________ E-mail: ________________________________________________
This rental will begin on
__________________________________ at ______________ am/pm and end on
__________________________________ at ______________ am/pm.
To be used for: ________________________________________________________________________
Estimated Attendance: ______________
Please check one: ( ) Renter is an Alna Resident. ( ) Renter is not an Alna resident
1. Space to Be Rented: This agreement entitles the Renter to use the classroom and attached outhouses, as well as the adjacent grounds and parking area.
2. Rent: The Renter agrees to pay in advance to the Town as rent the sum of $________ PLUS a refundable security deposit (see section 4) of $50.00. This payment must be received in full prior to the rental. See separate sheet of Town approved rental rates.
[ ] rent received: _________ by (initials): __________ date: __________ [ ] fee waived _______________
[ ] deposit received: _______ by (initials): __________ date: __________ [ ] deposit waived ____________
[ ] deposit returned: _______ by (initials): __________ date: __________
3. Form of Payment: The Renter agrees to by check or money order made payable to: “The Town of Alna”. If a check is returned by the bank, the Renter will be assessed an additional fee of $35.00.
4. Security Deposit: Upon signing this agreement, the Renter must provide a security deposit of $50.00, which will be returned unless: (a) there are damages to the School or grounds; (b) the School or grounds are left abnormally dirty; or (c) equipment or artifacts are missing or damaged.
5. Keys: The Renter will be given one (1) key to the School. The key should be returned to the Caretaker or Town Clerk immediately after the end of the rental. If the key is not returned, the Renter will be charged $50.00 to cover replacement of the lock and keys.
6. Parking. Parking is at vehicle owner's risk. The Town is not responsible for any damage or loss to any vehicle or its contents. The Town will make reasonable efforts to remove snow in the parking area. Parking is limited to the parking lot adjacent to the building or at the Post Office when it is closed.
7. Quiet Enjoyment: Please remember there are neighbors nearby and respect their right to not be inconvenienced by loud noise late into the night. There can be no recorded or live music after 10:00 PM.
8. Use of Premises: The Renter must comply with all relevant laws and regulations governing food, sanitation, fire safety, etc. The Renter is expected to be aware of all applicable laws and regulations.
9. Number of Occupants: The Renter agrees that the facility shall be occupied by no more than 50 persons, unless otherwise separately agreed below.
10. Damage to Premises: If the facility or grounds are damaged by any cause during the period of the rental, whether by the Renter or any of the Renter’s guests, employees, or contractors, the damage will be repaired by the Town and the Renter will be assessed for the full amount thereof.
11. Dangerous Materials: The Renter may not allow in the School or on the grounds anything that any responsible insurance company might consider dangerous, hazardous, flammable, or explosive. No open flames or lit candles (except candles on a birthday cake) are allowed. By Town of Alna Ordinance there is no smoking permitted in Town building or grounds.
12. Surrender of Premises: At the expiration of the rental period, the Renter must leave the premises in as good state and condition as they were at the time the Renter took possession. Determination of condition and assessment of any repair or cleaning costs are at the sole discretion of the Town.
13. Default: If the Renter defaults in the payment of rent, as set forth in Section 2 above, or defaults in the performance of or compliance with any other term or condition contained in this agreement, the Town may, at its sole discretion, terminate this agreement, retain any deposits or partial rental payments, as well as pursue further damages in a court of law.
14. Reentry and Reclaim for Cause: If at any time during the term of this agreement the Town has a reasonable belief that the Renter or his or her guests or agents have caused or may cause damage to the premises, or that the Renter has violated, or may violate any of the terms of this agreement, the Town may reenter and reclaim the premises forthwith, and terminate this agreement.
15. Severability: If any portion of this agreement is held to be invalid or unenforceable for any reason, the remaining provisions shall continue to be valid and enforceable. If a court finds that any provision of this agreement is invalid or unenforceable, but that by limiting such provision it would become valid and enforceable, then such provision shall be deemed to be written, construed and enforced as so limited.
16. INSURANCE: For all private users a certificate of insurance is required and must be received prior to the event. The certificate may be faxed to the Town of Alna at 687-7010 or mailed to the Town Office at 1568 Alna Road, Alna, ME 04535 Tenant Users Liability Insurance Program (TULIP) is acceptable. FMI, please ask the Caretaker or the Town Clerk.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the parties have executed this rental agreement.
For the Town: __________________________________________________ Date: ______________
Printed Name: _________________________________________ Position: ____________________
For the Renter: __________________________________________________ Date: ______________
Printed Name: _________________________________________ Position: _____________________
Heater – Do not block and shut of when leaving.
Windows – Close when leaving.
Exits - Note where there are and do not block them.
Set-up - Do not hang or attach anything on the walls, light fixtures, chalkboards or floor. Tacks, pins, screws, nails, glue or tape of any kind are not permitted on interior surfaces of the historic School. If you use glitter, leave no trace of it when you leave the building. Please do not block access to the exits and the fire extinguisher when you set up for your event.
Clean up - All personal items, event materials, food items, containers, etc. brought into the school for an event must be taken out of the school by the renter at the close of an event. All trash should be removed and properly disposed of by the Renter. The floors should be cleaned. No traces of food should be left behind. If additional cleanup or repair is required, the costs will be assessed to the Renter. There is no running water at the school, so make clean up arrangements accordingly.