Local Resources

Despite its small population, Alna is rich in both historic and natural resources that are available to residents and visitors alike


Historic Resources

The town of Alna has two designated historic districts, the Sheepscot Historic District and the Head Tide Historic District , along with many well preserved early homes.

Friends of the Head Tide Church (FHTC ) oversee maintenance and management of the Head Tide Church. Built in 1838, the church sits high on a hill overlooking the Sheepscot River in Head Tide and is available to rent for weddings , concerts and special events.

 The Alna Meetinghouse, Center School, and Village School at Puddledock, are owned by the town.  A caretaker oversees the maintenance and the management of use and visitation for these three buildings.

Meeting House


The Center School

 The Center School built ca. 1796, and located on Rt. 218, is one of six one-room schools formerly operating in the town. It is set up as a school museum and may be viewed by appointment. Contact the town clerk for details.


The Village School at Puddledock

The Village School at Puddledock built in 1874, and located on Rt. 194, is a one-room school that was active until 1962. The design is typical of the period, with an open floor plan and separate entrances for boys and girls .  The building served as the Alna Town Office until 1998 when the office was moved to its current location, the Webster Homestead, on Rt. 218.  Contact the town clerk for more information about the school. 


Head Tide Dam

Historic dam on the Sheepscot River in the Head Tide Historic District.  Popular location for swimming, canoeing, kayaking, fishing, and viewing wildlife

Alewives at Head Tide Dam


Natural Resources

Sheepscot River

Donec eget risus diam. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit.


Bass Falls Preserve Trail

Named in honor of the small waterfall that is visible at low tide, and for the striped bass that live in the river, the Bass Falls Preserve provides                 2 1/2 miles of marked trails, and protects over 4,500 feet of river frontage for bald eagles, wild Atlantic salmon, and other species that thrive in this tidal section of the Sheepscot River.

Look for Eastern bluebirds near the nest boxes.  Other native birds, such as tree swallows, house wrens, and black-capped chickadees may also use these boxes. 

Tree swallow perched on nest box

Tree swallow perched on nest box

Bobolinks and Eastern meadowlarks sometimes nest in the field.  Along the river, keep an eye out for bald eagles and ospreys, both of which nest in the area and are often seen along the river.

How to get there


From the South:  Take Route 218 north from Wiscasset for 7 1/4 miles to the Bass Falls Preserve.  Parking lot and kiosk are on the right.

From the North:  Take Route 218 south from Whitefield to 1/4 mile past the Alna Store.  Parking lot and kiosk are on the left.







Bass Falls Trail Map


Trout Brook Preserve

The Trout Brook Perserve provides 1.65 miles of trails, and protects over 4,200 feet of the lower reaches of Trout Brook, as well as frontage along the main stem of the Sheepscot River.  Now mostly forested, much of the property was once included treeless pasture, with open fields at the top of the hill.

Spring visitors will be treated to a variety of warblers and thrushes that use the now diverse forest.  In the summer, you may see woodpeckers, grouse, woodcock and winter wrens near the brook.  Look for signs of deer, fox, fisher, mink, and porcupine in the soft soils along the streams or on the snow.

The land was purchased in 2005 from Maxine Peaslee Tornell and her family.  Maxine's mother, Thelma Lucy Wyman, inherited the property from her parents, and lived there for almost 50 years.

At the beginning of the trail, you will walk along the Wiscasset, Waterville and Farmingon (WW&F) Railway right-of-way that operated from 1894 until 1933.  In the 1900s, train cars hauled potatoes, poultry, lumber, and even the mail.

Maxine by the remains of the old railroad trestle (1951)

Maxine by the remains of the old railroad trestle (1951)


How to get there


From Wiscasset:  Take US Route 1 to ME Route 218 north.  In 7 miles, left to the parking lot.

From Whitefield (Route 194):  Take ME Route 218 south.  In 5.3 miles, parking on the right.







Trout Brook Preserve Trail Map